Tuesday, March 14, 2017

Carnevale Night

Every year Club Italia at Molloy College hosts Carnevale Night in March. Carnevale is a Venetian-themed event filled with dancing, singing, homemade Italian food, photos, and culture. My favorite part about Carnevale Night is the raffle prizes! Each year I go home with multiple baskets. The proceeds raised from the raffles are donated to the Bethany House Services, a local charity for homeless women and children.

I have been the President of Club Italia for 2 years now, and Carnevale night takes a lot of planning and work despite the fun time I have during it. For several months I run around to local businesses requesting donations. After I get the donations I have to put together over 40 different baskets! Additionally, I have to get the decorations, create flyers, make trays of food and hire expertise, such as a photographer and DJ. 


The event has always turned out amazing in previous years, and I am looking forward to it this year on March 30th 2017 from 8pm-11pm in the Hays Theatre. Come join us!


Vocabulary:
1. Club: (noun) a group of people who meet to participate in an activity.
2. Venetian: (noun) origin of Venice, Italy.
3. Culture: (noun) the beliefs, customs, arts, etc., of a particular society, group or place. 
4. Proceeds: (noun) the total amount of money or profit that was made.
5. Charity: (noun) act of giving money, food or other types of help to those in need of it.
6. Planning: (noun) the act or process of making a plan to achieve or do something.
7. Expertise: (noun) special skill or knowledge. 

Vocabulary Exercise:
Directions: Fill in the blank with the correct vocabulary term from above to complete the sentence.
1. Carnevale is a __________ event and is celebrated annually in Venice, Italy as well. 
2. My dentist is an __________ in dentistry and has a medical degree. 
3. The __________ I raise from the church will be donated to a homeless __________ organization.
4. I am a Roman Catholic and in my __________ we have to give up something during Lent. 
5.  The sports __________ practices after school every Wednesday.
6. My sister is __________ her wedding with my mom and her fiance. It is a lot of work! 


Grammar Point:
Antonym- a word opposite in meaning to one another
Example: I get good grades VS I get bad grades

Grammar Activity: 





2 comments:

  1. I loved reading this post. Your pictures show that you and Club Italia made Carnevale Night one to remember. This was very creative. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you make a great club president with all of your enthusiasm. I like that you try to help Bethany House, a really worthy charity.

    ReplyDelete